Fidelity ADT urges residents to remain vigilant and arm their alarms when going out for their daily walk/run in the allotted morning time during lockdown. Residents need to be aware that this presents an opportunity for criminals.
“What concerns us is that many people don’t arm their alarm systems when they leave home and we sometimes even come across properties where gates are left open.”
Perimeter security is the first layer of defence, according to Natasha Springfield Community Development Manager Fidelity ADT. Homeowners need to ensure their gates are secure at all times and can’t be lifted off the rails. The entire perimeter of the property should be checked regularly for weaknesses.
Security tips from Fidelity ADT:
- Arm your alarm whenever you leave your home and when you go to bed.
- Close windows and check all doors are locked when you leave home.
- Secure your perimeter at all times.
- Activate outdoor detection.
- Lock all garden, leisure and other equipment away when not in use.
- Be extra vigilant when leaving and arriving home. If you notice anything or anyone suspicious, don’t turn into your driveway.
- Never allow strangers onto your property, no matter what they say their business is. Ensure your domestic staff know this rule.
- Carry a remote panic at all times when you’re at home and equip your domestic staff with panics.
Report anything suspicious to the SAPS or your security provider immediately