There has been a worrying spike in the number of dog poisoning incidents across our Fidelity ADT footprint in the Selcourt, Springs area recently and dog owners are advised to be cautious and take note of these life saving tips for their beloved animals.
“Residents need to be extra vigilant and report any suspicious individuals or vehicles seen in the area to either Fidelity ADT or the SAPS. Just last night we saw two dog poisonings in Kafue Street. Usually we see a spate of house robberies following incidents of dog poisonings so we all need to work together to ensure these properties are secure. Where possible residents should keep their pets indoors at night as this prevents them scouring the yards for foreign food matter” says Renee Basson, Community Development Manager for Fidelity ADT.
Fidelity approached Dr Hannekom at Onderstepoort Academic Hospital to provide homeowners with the following advice if they believe their pet may have been poisoned.
- If you suspect your dog has been poisoned, please take them to the vet immediately. Owners try to treat animal themselves, however it is always better to seek veterinary assistance as soon as possible.
- Signs will vary depending on the type of poison swallowed. They can be as mild as lethargy, malaise, and weakness to gastrointestinal signs like vomiting, diarrhoea, drooling, and nausea. More severe signs can include agitation, twitching, seizures, or even a coma.
- If your pet has started vomiting, gather a sample of it in a plastic bag and take it with you to your vet immediately. It may be used for testing and analysis. Dr Hannekom says please never induce vomiting without consulting the vet
- Try to stay calm and move your dog to a safe area. Check your dog is breathing and if not, you may need to perform CPR, before taking the dog to the vet.
- If your dog begins to convulse, also move them to a safe area where they won’t cause injury to themselves
- Aldicarb, also known as two-step / Temik, is the commonly used poison. It looks like little black poppy seeds and is granular in appearance. Hannekom says it is highly toxic. Do not touch it with your bare hands – wear gloves when removing the poison from your property. Criminals usually hide it in meat so that dogs consume it.
The bottom line is you need to get your pet to a veterinary specialist as soon as possible in the event of any possible poisoning says Basson.
She adds that it is vital that any incidents of dog poisonings are reported to the SAPS immediately. “All poison cases must be reported to the local SAPS with a request for them to investigate the case and remove any suspected poison residues/bait from your property. A poisoning incident is a crime and should therefore always be reported.”