There has been an increase in dog poisoning incidents recently and Fidelity ADT Security is advising dog owners to be cautious. “We have specifically had incidents in Melville, Westdene, Sophiatown, Brixton and Auckland Park,” reports Natasha Springfield, Community Development Manager Fidelity ADT.
“Residents need to be extra vigilant and report any suspicious individuals or vehicles seen in the area to either Fidelity ADT or the SAPS. Usually we see a spate of house robberies following incidents of dog poisonings so we all need to work together to ensure these properties are secure,” she says. “Fidelity ADT will be upping its presence in these areas to ensure greater visibility and support for these residents.”
Guard dogs are a great early warning system and, sadly, are targeted when criminals want to gain access to a property.
Springfield offers these security tips for residents in the area:
- Test your alarm and ensure it is in working order.
- Ensure that you set your alarm when you are away from the house and arm specific zones of your house that are not being used when you are at home.
- Cut back any trees or bushes that could be used by criminals to climb your gate, wall or fence.
- Check that your perimeter security has not been tampered with and ensure any damaged is repaired immediately.
- Inform your domestic worker and gardener that dogs have been poisoned and encourage them to be on the look out for any suspicious individuals.
“We send our condolences to all those families who have lost a beloved pet and are fully committed to ensuring this trend does not continue,” she says.
She adds that it is vital that any incidents of dog poisonings are reported to the SAPS immediately. “All poison cases must be reported to the local SAPS with a request for them to investigate the case and remove any suspected poison residues/bait from your property. A poisoning incident is a crime and should therefore always be reported.”
PREPARED ON BEHALF OF FIDELITY ADT BY CATHY FINDLEY PUBLIC RELATIONS ON (011) 463-6372 OR EMAIL JACQUI RORKE ON JACQUI@FINDLEYPR.CO.ZA